Lazy Bastard

.

 This is about my job as a Handicap Assistant, which didn’t last a long time unless you consider one day a long time which I sure don’t. The woman at the agency gave me the interview and hired me right on the spot, smiling at me with this wide smile, blinding me with her teeth and psychotic grin… what the hell is so spectacular? She was still smiling when she said, “Welcome to the team… let’s go meet your charge Teddy.”

 
My charge- Teddy- was a blind paraplegic. Or maybe it was quadriplegic I wasn’t paying attention because he smelled like yesterday’s milk. Teddy was my age, isn’t that sweet? That was the woman from the agency talking, not me. I didn’t think Teddy was sweet in the least… he was trying to look sad, sitting by the window in the lounge (like he didn’t know I was coming) and his helper dog Hondo went right for my groin.

“Adorable,” said the woman, nodding, and it’s a good thing she left ‘cuz if she smiled again I think I might have hit her. Or the dog.



“NICE TO MEET YOU, TEDDY!” I shouted, and he snapped his head back like he never heard a voice before. “My job is to drive you around town for the day! Where do you want to go first?!?” He says ‘the bank’ of all places so I grab the chair and leash and start wheeling him out.


As we were walking out I’m thinking: this guy is no cripple; most likely he’s just one of a billion lazy bastards faking it for the retro-pay from the government. He thinks he’s clever but I’m pretty clever myself so I figure let’s beat him at his own game! I let go of the chair and start screaming:

“FIRE!!! TEDDY FIRE!!! GET UP!!! GET UP- WE GOTTA GET OUT OF HERE!!!”

Now the goddamn dog is barking at me like a lunatic and Teddy’s just sitting there in the chair real still-like, so I guess he’s got this act down to an art. I thought I saw his leg move a little the third time I tried it but that might have just been because I was shaking the chair so hard. Hondo came back for my groin.


So outside in the car Teddy starts to cop this attitude with me, you know, like he’s the king and I‘m just this guy, this guy who has to drive the king around town? I strap him into the back of the van (you’ve never seen velcro so tight) and pull away from the Center when he says, real-quiet: “I want to stop at Burger King for lunch.”

Whoa! This was getting out of control… who does he think he is Justin Timberlake or some rock star? I told him no, he tells me yes, I tell him no, he tells me yes… we went back and forth like this for about half an hour. Finally I see a Wendy’s and figure close enough but when we pull up to the window Sherlock “Handicap” Holmes somehow discovers its not a Burger King. Blind?


“I want a Whopper sandwich,” he says, rocking in captivity. I told him to have a Frosty- same thing! “I wanna Whopper sandwich, I wanna Whopper sandwich!” I threw something at him, a tire iron I think, but again: "I wanna Whopper sandwich from the Burger King!"

That was it. I had enough of this insanity! I get out the car, lower the ramp in the back of the van and start to unbuckle this bamboozling nincompoop.


“Please don’t harm me,” he says. Now suddenly he’s sweet as sugar again? No thanks!


I swear to you people I only intended to dump him on the street corner and drive off for a few hours, just to give him a scare… but as luck would have it once I untie him he rolls down the ramp- too accessible?- and down into the lot. And down the hill to the road. And down the road onto the expressway. I screamed for Hondo to go after him but the dog never had any respect for me. We just stood there watching Teddy roll (so fast!) and wondering how he was avoiding all the cars. And then…



The cop- who was so rude I could have punched him in the eye- said Teddy was “obliterated" in the crash. All they could find was a molar. Of course the woman from the agency- who only two hours earlier couldn’t stop smiling at me- fired me and made me fill out a bunch of paperwork so it looked like I was responsible for Teddy’s death. Do you believe that?


You know what I think? I think the vindictive son of a bitch faked the whole thing. I think he pulled a tooth out his mouth when he met me and staged the accident for the insurance money, probably changing his name and moving away. One thing’s for sure… I’ll keep my eyes open, 'cuz if I ever spot that lazy bastard he's gonna get pulverized all over again.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment